We keep on doing our holidays homework exercises. In this second session we deal with realtive clauses, pronouns and addition idioms.
D Choose the correct alternative to complete the sentences.
(17) John had a girlfriend ___who___ was a model.
(a) that (?) (b) which (c) who
(18) I used to be a punk, ___which___ might come as a bit of a surprise to you.
(a) that (b) which (c) who
(19) Mary, ___whose___ boyfriend was in a Goth band, has just got married.
(a) that (b) who (c) whose
(20) The club ___where___ we went as teenagers has close down.
(a) where (b) which (c) that
(21) Everyone ___that___ we knew was at the party. (none?)
(a) that (b) which (c) where
(22) In the 1960s, ___when___ hippies were the in-thing, what kind of music did you dad listen to?
(a) when (b) what (c) that
(23) Models, ___who___ are skinny, often suffer from Body Dysmorphic Disorder.
(a) that(?) (b) whose (c) who
E Choose the correct alternative to complete the sentences.
(24) People suffer/suffering from BDD often don’t realize they have the condition.
(25) Clothes designed/designing for teenagers have to be really fashionable.
(26) Actresses wanted/wanting to be successful often have to think about their image.
(27) Middle-aged men worried/worrying about putting on weight should think about exercising more frequently. (?)
(28) Hollywood was full of paparazzi tried/trying to take photographs of all the celebrities.
(29) Parents concerned/concerning about the way their children dress should just try to relax and remember what they were like when they were young.
(30) I sometimes find my daughter’s friends can be really annoyed/annoying, especially when they are listening to loud music.
F Choose the correct alternative to the sentences.
(31) As well as/What’s more having no dress sense, your taste in music is terrible.
(32) He told me my clothes were old-fashioned and, as well as/what’s more, he said I was ugly!
(33) In addition to/In addition buying a new jacket she bought two pairs of shoes!
(34) Your new boyfriend is rude, in addition/on top of that he’s dumb.
(35) In addition/Besides being handsome he’s also really well-off.
(36) Wow! You hair is fantastic. What’s more/In addition to those earrings really suit you.
(37) She’s an airhead in addition to/on top of that being one of the most annoying people I’ve ever met.